Following a career with Exxon Research and Engineering and KBC Advanced Technology, Dr. Friedman founded Petrocontrol – a consulting firm in Advanced Process Control (APC) and On-line Optimization. Petrocontrol's APC applications engage in minute by minute process engineering, employing first principles inferential models, process knowledge based designs, and attention to detail during implementation and commissioning.
Since 1992 Petrocontrol worked with about 30 clients, implementing inferential control models, sometime turnkey APC applications, client representation, auditing existing APC and training control personnel.
Petrocontrol specializes in:
Petrocontrol has performed work on the following units:
- Amine absorption and Claus units.
- Aromatics: BTX reforming, extraction and separation.
- Atmospheric and vacuum crude distillation.
- Blending gasoline, middle distillates, fuels and lubes.
- Boilers, furnaces and utilities.
- Distillation processes: a large variety of distillation columns.
- Ethylene cracking and olefins separation.
- Fluid catalytic cracking.
- Gasoline processes: reforming, alkylation, isomerization, benzene saturation.
- Hydrogen processes: hydrogen production, desulfurization and hydrocracking.
- Thermal processes: thermal cracking, visbreaking, delayed coking.
- Lubes processes: deasphalting, dewaxing and extraction.